Monday 14 October 2013

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL - MONDAY - 14/10/2013 - FEARING GOD BY PASTOR E.A. ADEBOYE



FEARING GOD

MEMORY VERSE
But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.
Exodus 1:17

READ
Hebrews 11:6-7

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

MESSAGE
Another characteristic of a divine midwife is the fear of God.
Exodus 1:17 says,

But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive.

To be God-fearing goes beyond merely believing that God exists.
James 2:19 says,

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Hebrews 11:6 says if you come to God, you must believe that He exists. But if that starting point of faith is where you stopped then what is the difference between you and the devil? The demons believe that God exists because He created them, but can we say they fear Him in that sense? Can you fear God and break His commandment without even feeling it? I doubt it.

The fear of God which starts with believing in His existence has different dimensions. If you fear somebody, you will take his word very seriously. You will not want to offend him at all. If you fear somebody, you will hold the fellow in high esteem. There is always something that you can point at that you did or did not do because of the fear you have for the fellow. In Exodus 1:17, the midwives Shiphrah and Puah refused to obey the decree of the Egyptian king because they feared God. They were ready to get into trouble because they feared God. In Genesis 39:7-12, Joseph persistently resisted the temptation to sleep with his master's wife because he feared God. In Daniel 1:8-16, Daniel and his friends refused to eat food sacrificed to idols because they feared God. Do you fear God? What has the fear of God made you to do or not to do? You say you fear God yet you manipulate figures, attendance and doctor your reports. You claim to fear God yet you easily allow the contraband of lust and immorality to defile His temple- your body! You gang up or rebel against God's servant and you claim to fear God. Do you really fear God? If you claim you do, prove it by your works, words, attitude to Him, His servants and His work.

KEY POINT
Those who fear God are known by the level of their obedience to God's Word.

17 comments:

  1. Lord i thank u for ur word,more grace to abide by ur word IJN(AMEN).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord,help me to fear YOU & to at all time put your words in my heart so that i wil not sin against you In Jesus Name Amen .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, Please have mery on me in any way, I had not believed you and disobeyed your words. Please give me more Grace to always have your Fear in my Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord,direct ma path in accordance to ur will!!!increase ma fear in u nd lead me in all ma doings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord may the fear of you remain constant in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Lord, put ur fear in me in Jesus name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lord for your word this morning. Your word brings Life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord grant me the grace to fear you at all times. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tank u Jesus for the gift of life,so grateful lord.the bible makes us to understand that,the fear of God is d beginning of wisdom.so I pray oh lord for ur grace,help me to obey ur word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father,direct my path and give me the wisdom and understanding to serve you well, in jesus name!! Amen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Lord thank you for your words this day. Grant me the grace to always obey your word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lord God Grant Me the Grace to obey your word by your mercy.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lord, your fear brings wisdom. Help me to fear you daily in Jesus' name

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be merciful unto me Lord, for I have strayed. I ask for ur grace to have that burning desire to do dat which re pleasing unto u.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adejumoke oladipupo14 October 2013 at 16:09

    Father I need grace to be more fearful to U̶̲̥̅̊ lord

    ReplyDelete
  16. The fear of d lord is d beginin of wisdom. lord help me to fear you

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Lord Jesus, I desire your fear, create in me a new heart that will always fear you and let my life show forth your glory in Jesus Name. ( Amen)

    ReplyDelete

    Total Pageviews