Thursday 6 February 2014

OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL - THURSDAY - 6/2/2014 - THE PARADOX OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE BY PASTOR E.A. ADEBOYE


THE PARADOX OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE

MEMORISE
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Ephesians 2:6

READ
John 15:18-19

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

MESSAGE
There are people with dual citizenship in this world. Some others migrate and renounce the citizenship of where they are coming from to take up that of another land. The nature of a believer is close to this. Before becoming born-again, you were born to exist in this physical world, but when you give your life to Christ, you now exist at a higher spiritual realm of God in addition to being present in this physical world. John 1:12-13 says:

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

This dual contrasting existence of every child of God poses some challenges especially in a world that is hostile to the ways of our native land. The ways and manners of our native land are outlined for us in the Bible. These Bible traditions which form the pattern for our life are not going to be popular in this world but rather, demon-inspired fashions, styles and behaviours will continue to be the norm. The unfortunate thing is that some people of God have lost their identity and are occupied with the fashion of this world which will pass away. Our Lord made it very clear from our Bible reading for today that the world will not love us because we are not of the world. We are also instructed in 1 John 2:15 not to love the world or the things that are in the world.

We need to be clear about our identity. We are told that though we are in this world, we are not of the world. We therefore ought not to be bugged down by the affairs of this world but rather by that of our native land – Heaven. We are to exhibit the culture of Heaven right here in this world. Our affections ought to be on the things above (Colossians 3:1-2). Beloved, what is your affection set on? What are those things you are seeking? Remember, friendship with the world is enmity with God (James 4:4). This means if you claim to be a child of God, and yet you love the world and its ways and methods of evil doings, in reality you’re an enemy of God. Please examine your life and ways this moment; you may not have been like that from the beginning, but by not being sober and vigilant you exposed yourself to the subtlety of the wicked one. Turn to God now with godly sorrow and repentance, and he will forgive you and restore you to spiritual fervency again. Let it be known to you that the trumpet is about to sound. May you really be ready in Jesus’ Name.

ACTION POINT

In whatever area of life this message affects you, repent, cry to God for mercy and amend your ways. Pray for the revival of holiness and power in the Church.

21 comments:

  1. Heavenly Father I thank u 4 another beautiful day, thank u bcos you are mine and am yours, father let nothing in dis world seperate me 4rm dis unconditional LOVE you bestowed upon me and my family in Jesus name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, help me. Retrace my steps bk to u IJN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father help me in everyway in my life,lord have ur way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lord for your word, Lord I surrender everything that is of the world, I ask that you forgive me and restore me back to the spiritual fervency in Jesus Name I pray. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord I no am a Sinner pls 4give me nd restore me back 2 u. Tnk u Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Father, thank you for today's message. Please Lord have mercy on me and help me amend my ways,help me live a life that will please you in Jesus Name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lord truly ye are God,as u honour ur word in my life,let notin separate me frm ur word nd love 4 dis world has notin to offer me except u.may ur love last 4eva in me I pray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have Mercy lord !! http://t.co/Ng12JdTd6g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Father Lord I thank u for ur word again this morning,as human I kno am not perfect.pls Lord,have mercy on me and my home IJMN -amen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh help me to exhibit the citizenship of heaven IJN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. O Lord I Bless U for todays Message, and I ask for the grace to set my affections to the things above ONLY...Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have mercy upon me oh Lord, as I direct my path today walk with me always......amen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Father I thank you for your word 2day. Help me Lord 2 do dat which pleasing in thy sight & give me d grace 2 remain focus IJN. Oh Lord pls bless d one who has made Open Heavens available Online.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Father in Jesus name have mercy on me in Jesus name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lord, help me to shun all forms of worldliness as a citizen of heaven. Give me the grace to please you all the days of my life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Father i thank you for your word. It touches every area of my life. i ask for your mercy . Fo not allow me to perish rather snach me from the enermy and keep my feet firm in you.Let your spirit be with me always, prompt every of my activities and help mr in Jesus Name Amen .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Father, thank you for your word, help me to carry the consciousness of who am really are in christ to anywhere in Jesus name

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lord we have knowingly and unknowingly set our affections on worldly things but with a heart of repentance we plead for ur mercy to set our hearts aright and solely focused on you because everything in this world will fade away but ur word remains.let there be revival in the church and hearts be turned back to you in jesus name.Amen

    ReplyDelete
  19. help us Lord to live as you ordained us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lord hv mercy n forgive all my sins,amen

    ReplyDelete

    Total Pageviews